Natural Remedies for OCD
You may be wondering which natural remedies for OCD are recommended for those interested in taking a natural approach to recovery. If so, you will be happy to know that there are different options available to you.
First and foremost, it is important that you discuss any option you are considering with your family doctor. Some natural remedies for OCD can interact with specific medications and if you have a specific pre-existing medical condition they may not be recommended to you. Be sure to check with your doctor or pharmacist to avoid possible drug interactions.
Natural remedies for OCD can include the use of specific herbs, diet & nutrition, vitamins, amino acids and even flower remedies. Some people may find help through the use of one remedy while others may use a combination of things to get the results they desire. Since everyone is different, it may take some experimentation to find what will work best for you. When it comes to natural remedies for OCD, patience is most always necessary. Although many people feel that using natural remedies was the best choice for them, they tend to take longer than conventional medication to show their effectiveness.
Life Extension Foundation Recommendations
To address the complex biological, cognitive, and environmental factors that may cause or contribute to OCD, Life Extension recommends a combination of psychotherapy, pharmacotherapy, nutritional supplements, and an exercise program.
1. Treatment with an SSRI or other pharmacotherapeutic agent, as prescribed by a health practitioner.
2. Psychotherapy in combination with an SSRI. Choose a therapeutic approach that is meaningful to you.
3. Exercise a minimum of three times per week for 30 minutes per session. If this is not possible, modify your behavior to increase your level of physical activity. For example, take the stairs instead of an elevator when possible, park far away from your destination to increase walking distance, or take a walk during a break.
In addition, the following natural remedies for OCD may help:
- L-theanine - 200 milligrams (mg) twice daily to decrease the symptoms of OCD
- Inositol - 4 grams (g) in three divided doses daily
- Tryptophan - 2 g taken in the evening on an empty stomach
- St. Johns Wort - 300 to 900 mg daily
- Melatonin - 10 mg at night to start
Change Your Brain, Change Your Life (Revised and Expanded): The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Lack of Focus, Anger, and Memory Problems by Daniel G. Amen, M.D.
- Integrated Medicine Optimizes Brain Function - Naturally by Stephen Laifer (PDF)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder by Life Extention Magazine (PDF)
- Natural Remedies for Anxiety
- L-Theanine for Anxiety
- St. John's Wort for Depression and Anxiety
- Tryptophan for Depression and Anxiety
- Melatonin for Anxiety and Sleep
Other Non-pharmaceutical approaches to Recovery
Other approaches that people use as natural remedies for OCD include Alternative Medical Practices, Mind Body Techniques, Physical Therapies and Natural Therapies. Visit Types of Alternative Medicine to learn more.
Looking for an Alternative Mental Health Practitioner?
It can help greatly to have the support of an alternative mental health practitioner to help support the use of natural remedies for OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder). The world's largest site on non-drug approaches for mental health is AlternativeMentalHealth.com, sponsored by Safe Harbor, a non-profit cooperation.