Dealing with anxiety symptoms can be difficult. So often people are afraid of the scary symptoms they feel that come with anxiety and depressive disorders. More often than not, these symptoms are not discussed in detail and many times we are just told that they are part of the condition and nothing more. In this section, I want to discuss some of the most distressing symptoms associated with these disorders because many times, it is the symptoms themselves that keep people going around in circles of fear. More often than not, anxiety symptoms cause more anxiety, especially when they are not understood.
Here is a list of some of the most common symptoms that people find distressing when dealing with anxiety.
1. Dizzy Spells - Dizziness seems to come out of nowhere, it's scary! There is always a tendency to think that something serious is wrong.
2. Difficulty Swallowing - Many people who experience this symptom, have fears of not being able to swallow. Sometimes the fear of choking is also included.
3. Heart Palpitations / Chest Pain - These symptoms lead people to believe that they are having heart issues, such as a heart attack or a blockage and that something more serious is about to happen.
4. Depersonalization - Depersonalization and Derealization are very real anxiety symptoms for thousands of people. Feelings of unreality are a common complaint for those suffering with these disorders. This is one symptom that makes dealing with anxiety most difficult. Depersonalization creates the feeling that you are an outside observer of yourself. Oftentimes, depersonalization is described as if living in a dream. This dreamlike state seems hazy, foggy and sometimes even the color of their world is less vivid as if you are looking at the world through the bottom of a glass. Derealization, which is similar to depersonalization causes the sufferer to feel as if nothing is real.
5. Insomnia / Cant Sleep - This is another challenge that many people consider scary. The inability to sleep causes a person to think that they might go crazy or slip into the unknown. There are specific things you can do when dealing with anxiety symptoms that will help alleviate this most challenging symptom. For many, this is something that interferes with the ability to recover fully from any stress disorder.
6. Vision Changes - Blurry vision and other strange sensations are common to those suffering anxiety.
7. Ringing in the Ears - Symptoms in the ears produced by anxiety can begin with ringing and also feel like cotton stuffed in the ear.
8. Weak Arms and Legs - Weakness in the limbs is commonly misinterpreted as a sign of something serious, such as a stroke.
9. Vivid Dreams - Sometimes scary and sometimes not, we usually analyze our dreams sometimes to the point of exhaustion.
10. Hypersensitivity - Everything from strange feelings in your head, to sensitivity to light, people who are anxious are extremely sensitive with their 5 senses. They have a tendency to analyze everything they feel and those sensations are highly exaggerated due to their anxiety.
11. Internal Shaking and Quaking - Many times people who are anxious, experience internal shaking. Usually it can't be seen by others but can be felt by the one that is anxious. These shakes and quakes are muscular.
12. External Shaking - When anxious, it's common to have external signs of shaking, especially in the hands. These shakes are caused by nerves.
12. Intrusive, Obsessive Thoughts- Obsessive Intrusive Thoughts are defined as unwelcome, involuntary thoughts, images or unpleasant ideas that may become obsessions, are upsetting or distressing, and can be difficult to be free of and manage.
Your Scary Symptom Not Here?
Can't find your scary symptom listed here? Contact me and let me know what I am missing!