Find A Stress Management Activity You Can Enjoy
Believe it or not, by participating in a stress management activity on a regular basis you will be able to better manage the stress in your life.
When we are chronically stressed, it's easy to forget about taking care of ourselves. Much of the time we become overwhelmed and consumed by by these stressors and forget about spending time doing the things we enjoy.
Since we are all different, it's hard to say which stress management activity would be best for you. For example, for one person, a good stress management activity may be cooking while this very same activity may be extremely stressful for someone else.
The important factor is not what you choose to do for a stress management activity, but how much you enjoy what you do.
Take Time Each Day
Stress management means deliberately taking time each day and setting that time aside strictly for you. A big part of overcoming the stress, anxiety and depression in your life means taking the time to positively invest into yourself and your own enjoyment. Don't have time? Make time!
Although it may be hard to picture yourself enjoying anything right now, especially if you are consumed with anxiety, panic, or depression, by taking the time to participate in a stress management activity you are being proactive in your own recovery.
Anxiety, Panic and Depression says "I can't, I'm too tired, I don't feel like it, I'm afraid, I can't focus"... but the truth is, you need to do it anyways!
Only through taking this time and actually participating, will you begin to take steps towards your own recovery.
Don't know what your good at or what you enjoy? Maybe it has been a long time since you have taken time for yourself and you feel like you have lost touch with who you are. Either way, you are encouraged to be patient with yourself and try different things until you find something you enjoy. Adding pressure is not something that you want to do, so instead float with it and try to have a little fun as you explore.
Benefits to Having a Stress Management Activity
By participating in stress management activities you are giving yourself time to step outside of your own head. When you are struggling with anxiety, panic or depression it's important to take time each day to focus your attention on something outside of yourself. For some people, the idea of doing anything at all, seems impossible but it is only through daily practice that you will help break the negative cycle of stress.
The more you get outside your head and practice being here and now in the current moment with your activity, the better you will get at it and the easier it will be. If you do it enough, you will eventually notice a change in how you've been feeling.
By taking the time to focus on a stress management activity, you are investing in your own good health!
Taking time for yourself each day is not selfish no matter what you think or what others have made you believe. After all, if you don't take care of yourself, how do you expect to take care of others? This is especially important if you are a parent or a caretaker. Taking time just for you is time to refuel your mental and physical energies.
What's your favorite stress management activity?
For tips and additional information simply click on the links below. Do you have something that you enjoy as a stress management activity that is not listed here? If so, please share it with us!
Some of the most enjoyed stress management activities include:
- Physical Exercise - Exercise reduces stress. Physical activities such as hiking, biking, swimming, dancing, lifting weights, sports to name a few, are all helpful in keeping our stress levels down and promotes good mental and physical health.
- Gardening - Whether indoors or outdoors, large or small, gardening is a great way to help alleviate stress.
- Photography - Photography is a creative and fun hobby that can help distract you from the stress, anxiety, and depression you may be feeling.
- Massage - Massage not only feels good but it relieves stress and has many health benefits. Whether done by a professional or through self-massage, when done regularly it can provide long lasting results for stress management.
- Home Spas & Day Spas - Spas create a wonderful relaxing experience while promoting stress reduction for the body and mind. Day spas are a wonderful treat that will enhance your personal stress management program. On a budget? You can still create the atmosphere you long for through home spas.
- Scrapbooking - Imagine sorting through your favorite photos and placing them together in a unique and creative way! Scrapbooking is not only one of the hottest hobbies around, it's a great stress management activity that you can use to balance the stress in your life.
- Woodworking - This hobby is loved by many and provides an outlet for relieving and balancing stress. People make all kinds of things with wood. Whether big or small, the projects that are created are very rewarding.
- Reading - Everything from Romance, Sci-Fi, Biographies to Self-Help, there are books for everyone of all interests. Reading is a great way to take time for yourself, to de-stress and put your mind on something else.
- Beachcombing - There is nothing like taking time at the beach. The beach is a great place to lay down your burdens and soak up the sights, sounds and smells of the ocean. Whether you are searching for seashells, sea glass or taking a walk looking for buried treasures, the beach is a great place to lose your stress!
- Journaling - Taking time each day to write about your thoughts, feelings or even your ideas is a very helpful way to relieve stress. It helps us to empty our thoughts onto paper and see them clearly for what they really are.
- Prayer & Meditation - This quiet time is priceless. Handing over our burdens through prayer and meditation is a great way to release negative stressors and put them into the hands of a higher power. Many people have a habit of meditating on negative things but through learning positive meditation you can learn to let go and accept on a much deeper level.
- Arts & Crafts - The creativity of arts and crafts enable people of all kinds to express themselves without limits. Are you creative? Do you have a hobby that is unique or do you have a special gift in the arts? Maybe it's time for you to explore and have some fun!
- Music - Most people find enjoyment and stress reduction through music. Whether you play an instrument, sing or just listen for enjoyment, music has a way of touching our mind, body and soul.
- Maintaining an Aquarium - Ever just find yourself staring at the fish in an aquarium? Aquariums have the ability to calm and soothe and bring peaceful feelings that melt your stress away.
- Stress Relieving Puzzles & Games - Placing your focus on these puzzles and games are a great way to distract yourself from everyday stressors and build brain activity at the same time. Most stress relieving puzzles and games are small enough to take anywhere.
- Mini Vacations, Road Trips, Sight Seeing - Taking time away from home is a great way to relieve stress. Sometimes just a break from those things that we associate with stress in our everyday lives is just what the doctor ordered.
- Fishing & Boating - These are both great activities that can help to relieve stress and bring you into the fresh air. They are not only fun but very rewarding as well.
- Cooking, Baking - Like to cook new meals or bake goodies? Maybe you don't know how to cook but want to learn. Either way cooking is an activity that many enjoy. It has the ability of relieving stress and bringing people together.
- Sewing, crochet, knitting, needlepoint - These hobbies have been used for many years to relieve stress and promote creativity.
So, What Else Can You Do?
Here are some additional articles on things you can do that will help you to better manage the stress in your life.
- Prioritize Your Life - Find a Healthy Balance
- Control Your Bad Temper - Stop Overreacting to Stress
- Visualization Exercises - Forecasting Positive Realistic Outcomes
- Stop Procrastinating - Turn your worries into real solutions!
- Laughter is the Best Medicine
- Slow Down During Stress
- Talk Therapy - An Effective Stress Management Tool
- Coping With Stress - Make Time for Fun
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation - It Really Works!
- Isometric Exercises for Everyday Situations
- Time Management -Balancing Your Time for Less Stress
Additional Resources for Stress Management
To help you succeed in making stress management part of your life, please visit Stress Management Tips & Techniques
Feeling stressed out? Discover the top ten causes of stress and learn how to manage stress and relax in the comfort of your home.
DIY Stress Relief offers natural, hands-on ways to combat the negative effects of stress on your health. Tips and techniques for inducing relaxation; including meditation, breathing, using essential oils and herbs, as well as massage and other lifestyle tips.
Organic Skin Care Products The Organic Skin Care Shop offers a huge selection of hand-blended organic skin care products.